Writer: Cinnamon Lion
Overall: 4.0 Out of 5
Cast: 3.0 Out of 5
Plot: 3.0 Out of 5
Effects: 5.0 Out of 5
Cinematography: 5.0 Out of 5
Watch this if you liked: “Ghost in the Shell” (1995 and 2015)
The Good, the Bad and the Cyber Soldier:
• Like every other American adaptation of anime or any Japanese production, the movie fails to capture the essence of the original which made the old Japanese series and movies such a success.
• Even so, just about every scene in the movie is a visual wonder to behold but sadly, the story is eminently forgettable and disappointing.
• The movie has simplified a lot of aspects in the story and has several major plot changes, which ends up making it seem like just another generic cyborg action film.
• If you watch the movie by not caring too much about the robotic and cyborg-ish conundrums, you'll probably enjoy the movie more.
• Scarlett Johansson was okay playing the Major, but Pilou Asbæk who played Batou did a better job in his role.
• For the Japanese dub of the film, the voice actors from "Ghost in the Shell" (1995) - Atsuko Tanaka (the Major), Akio Ôtsuka (Batou) and Kôichi Yamadera (Togusa) - reprise their roles.
Cinema Online, 03 April 2017